Analogies For The Universe

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Volume (a dream of a thousand cats)

I originally came up with the main musical motif for this piece about 6/7 years ago. It was originally just an acoustic guitar loop, one that I had named something like "cat prints in wet cement" or something. Anyway, I never used it for anything, never did anything more than just sit and play it hypnotically in around the house on my guitar. When the volume assignment came around, I knew deep down that this was the music I'd work from. Even though I tried a few other things, I still came back to it. The title is from the Sandman short story of the same name. I wanted to keep the cat vibe going, and since we haven't had Sashimi around for a while and I was missing her so much, I thought this was a nice way to keep the original theme, but take it somewhere new (actually, until the writing of this post, I had forgotten the former title, all this is upon further reflection, just post script justification).
So even though two days ago I was bitter and depressed and totally uninterested in this project, and also felt like it what I was making had failed/was worthless, after spending a little more time with the idea (and getting my Sashimi back) I feel like I've done something great.

I'd still like to develop the music further. Maybe make the volume/dynamic extremes less polar, and change around the sounds a little to make it a bit dreamier. I'd like to find a way to combine the main piano figure with some other sounds, morphing it and switching between it and a synth or something, giving that slow looped phrase a melting, surreal quality. Also, underplaying the dirt and noise a little more, mixing in more variations in the "clean" sounds, and making the whole thing a bit shorter.

I'll probably rework this a number of times. I think it has potential to make both a really fun structured improvisation, and eventually a B side for a future Glasfrosch single.

Here it is as submitted for assessment.




*nb: Sashimi is my cat <3

No comments:

Post a Comment