Analogies For The Universe

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Nocturnes part 1.

Thought I'd share this on here. So I've talked about my "Aubade" project on here a fair bit. I've been pretty happy with it so far, and we've nearly put the whole thing together (we being Glasfrosch), and will try to commit it to tape(bits) mid year. I've started working on the mirror image to this project now. Nocturnes will be 5 tracks and follow (more or less) a similar form to Aubades, but in the mood of the night. I've really started to think about how to make this record stand out and be different, not just to the Aubade music, but in general, to how I usually approach sound/composition entirely. I realised this week (while watching the Monroe film of the same name) that I'm having a musical 7 year itch - it's been about 7 years since I embarked on the journey that has become Glasfrosch, and I'm totally wiping the slate clean and flirting with ideas, sounds, and processes that I haven't before tried. In a way, Nocturnes brings me full circle, back to the new music to fall asleep to... days. But in the same sense, it's also a digression to new territory. I'll be approaching the night in a new way. A lyric I'm playing with sums it up, "the world is not the same place that you woke up in", which will probably be the subtitle of the first piece (mirroring the title format of "Aubade/after each sentence, another beautiful mystery"). Sonically, I thought I'd try some things that stem from things I've been exposed to since starting art school, and just play with new sounds, and try to find my voice in them. This little track is basically drums, two layers of a synth arpeggiator (one bass register, one higher), and a baritone guitar progression, drenched in reverb and tremolo, two types of delay and some distortion. In fact, everything is pretty heavily drenched in reverb. I can honestly admit that two things that have sunk into me from school have been My Bloody Valentine and HTRK. Obviously, this doesn't really develop any sense of form, but it's early days. I need to explore it over a month or so to really figure out where it's going to end up. I have lots of riffs and things that fit in the same/ related keys/close tempos, but I want to steer away from using existing ideas for this tune, and writing it all from scratch. Not that my existing ideas wont make there way into a tune in the end, but I need this challenge to fulfill some kind of progression in my art. That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment