Analogies For The Universe

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Organ subversion.

Probably the best advice James could have given me was "subvert the form". I don't even know what I was doing. I think lately I struggle with form more than anything. I'm moving more and more towards an openness, a freedom that makes committing to any particular trajectory really problematic, or at least, really depressing.
Jettisoning the first idea and moving into this new one was a good choice. I wanted to avoid making as droney piece, but after trying a bunch of things, I guess it's going to be just that. The growing in steps of 4 was really just a a rough idea of putting things together. The form now is much more organic. I don't know if it's very me, but I like it.
Some of the advice James had given over the course of last weeks class really took a relevant hold on me. Words in particular that I've focused on are "subversion", "abstraction", "undulate". 
I began by simply recording the guitar part, and then I played in each manual of organ music, in an improvised type sense, and then adjusted the midi afterwards. The result is much less linear and more organic, shifting perspective often.

While it still has a way to come (I'm still working out a middle chunk), I feel like I'll have a great piece to perform. The addition of some handmade instruments will add some colour to the drones, my lazyglock, and waterphone are definitely going to be used in there, but also probably some cymbals and my musical amplified BMX i've just made might make it in.

looking forward to more feedback today.

No comments:

Post a Comment